Tuesday, July 17, 2012

"Do One Thing Everyday That Scares You"

   Over the years, I've discovered something about myself.  I'm a chicken.  I am!  I am afraid of just about anything you could name.  Some are reasonable fears that come from years of experience.  Take, for example, my fear of public speaking.  I'll never forget the time, in my Freshman year of college, when the teacher (being a laid-back and easy-going woman that everyone loved and could relate to) said that she knew that the weekend had had a lot of social distractions and asked us to be honest about who hadn't read the chapters assigned.  My hand shot into the air, grinning and saying, "Oh yeah, who was too busy at the Renaissance Fair?"  This was before face-palms were a thing you said instead of did, and that day I saw at least three faces actually hit their palms.  Apparently that was the weekend the first Twilight movie came out, and most people had spent their time at the midnight premiere, not watching men in tights pretend to joust and explain falconry.  I didn't get the memo.  Needless to say, I'm much more cautious about what I say in public now.  Hence, Public Speaking=Reasonable Fear.

   I also have irrational fears, like my fear of going to the hair salon.  Don't misunderstand me, I love having my hair cut.  I like feeling pampered when someone else washes my hair; I'm all for the dead ends being gone, and that feeling of lightness when you get rid of a couple of inches.  But, I can't seem to drag myself to the hair salon as often as I should.  The reason?  Two words: head lice.  I am so petrified that I am going to sit down in that chair, and as the woman begins to brush out my hair, she'll jump back, saying, "Ma'am, we'll have to ask you to leave.  You have lice!"  Then I'll be forced to hang my head and walk out while she sets about burning all her brushes.  I know this is irrational, but it doesn't help that I had a three-year-old in daycare up until a month ago, which made the fear at least possible.  In my mind anyway.

   Finally I have emotional fears.  These are the fears that make me feel like if I even try, I'll fail.  Then I don't try and I never change, so I feel like a failure anyway.  I saw the quote "Do one thing everyday that scares you" on Pinterest, and it spoke to me.  Tonight I was scared again.  I wasn't afraid of the run that was facing me; I was afraid of the idea of failing.  I was afraid of all the people on my street laughing at the fatty as she ran by.  My mind went back to PE in middle and high school, and I almost didn't do it.  But then I remembered this quote, and I began to feel something totally different.  I felt excited.  I felt ready to rip off those chains of fear and face my obstacle head-on, and you know what?  It was worth it.

    Tonight I finished Day 1 of the Couch to 5K program.  I came home with my calves burning, drenched in sweat, and jittery, but I felt like a bad ass!  I told myself when I started out that I wouldn't be one of those people that talk incessantly about their workouts (and I still don't plan to...incessantly), but I get it now.  It's a feeling of pride I've never had before.  It's pride in oneself, and I wanted to share it the best way I know how.

   Keeping in theme with a healthy lifestyle, I made a yummy soup that I want to share.


 Summer Squash and Corn Chowder

2 slices applewood-smoked bacon
3/4 cup green onions, divided
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 lb yellow summer squash, chopped
1 lb frozen white and yellow baby corn kernels, thawed and divided
2 1/4 cups low fat 1% milk, divided
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese

Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat until crisp.  Remove bacon from pan, reserving 2 tsp drippings in pan.  Crumble bacon and set aside.  Add 1/2 cup onions, celery and squash to drippings in pan.  Saute 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Reserve 1 cup corn; set aside.  Place remaining corn and 1 cup milk in a blender, and puree until smooth.  Add remaining 1 1/4 cups milk, thyme, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to blender.  Process just until combined.  Add pureed mixture and reserved corn to the Dutch oven.  Reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring constantly.  Stir in 1/8 teaspoon salt.  Ladle about 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 4 bowls.  Top each with 1 TBS onion, 1 TBS cheese, and 1 TBS bacon.

Enjoy!

PS-If you want the Nutrition facts, simply click on the link :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment