Thursday, July 12, 2012

Deployment Goal

   Life's been pretty busy lately, what with the fractured skull, the 24 hour visit home, and the house guests, but I'm enjoying it, because it's helping this month pass by quickly.  I've also been busy working on my deployment goal.  In the time that J is gone, I'm getting into shape.  The goal is to be able to run a 5K with him when he gets home.  Anyone who knows my husband knows that working out is to him what cooking is to me.  Go figure!  This homeport, though, J made an effort to get involved with me in the kitchen, so it feels right that before he left I made more of an effort to take an interest in what he loves to do.  We began the Insanity workouts together, and although I was proud of myself for hanging in there as long as possible with the videos, I realized that my fitness level was way under what those required, so I decided to start off a little slower.  I began the Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred the day after J's departure, and I'm enjoying it.  I'm also seeing and feeling a difference already.  I don't have an ideal weight in mind, but I do have an ideal feeling.  I want that feeling that comes with chasing my little girl around the house and up and down the stairs without getting winded. I want the feeling of a pair of jeans that no longer fit suddenly becoming too big.  I want the feeling of sitting down without sucking in, and I want it in a way that doesn't mean I have to punish my body for enjoying good food.

   With that in mind I've also begun to make some (small) changes to the way I eat and cook.  I'm not saying I'm going to throw out my Paula Deen magazines any time soon, but I am saying that I'm cooking more vegetables and drinking more water.  I'm also "pinning" more healthy recipes, like this one for Chicken Divan.

Here's what you'll need:


1 1/2 lbs broccoli (3 large heads) chopped
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 Tbsp. light butter
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 Tbsp. shallots, minced (onions would work too)
4 Tbsp. flour
1 cup fat free chicken broth
1 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup white wine (or dry sherry)
6 oz. shredded reduced fat swiss cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
Cooking spray


Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add the broccoli and boil for about 3 minutes.  Pour into a colander, and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking.  Drain well and set aside.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Season the chicken with salt and pepper.  Saute chicken on medium-low heat until browned and just about cooked through (about 5 minutes on each side).  Remove from heat and transfer chicken to a cutting board.  When cooled, slice chicken into bite sized pieces. 

Heat a medium skillet on medium heat.  Add the butter and oil until melted and then add garlic and shallots (or onions).  Sprinkle flour and whisk until smooth.  Stir in broth, milk and wine (or sherry) and bring to a boil.  

Remove from heat and stir in half of the swiss cheese.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.


Arrange broccoli in a casserole dish.  


Pour half of the sauce over the broccoli. 

Arrange the chicken on top and cover with remaining sauce.
  

Sprinkle in remaining swiss cheese, grated parmesan cheese and top with bread crumbs. 

Spray a little oil on top.  Bake 30 minutes, serve hot. 



I don't have a picture from when it came out the oven, but I can tell you that it was yummy!  It didn't even taste like something that's low-calorie or anything like that.  That's probably why I loved it.

Enjoy!

1 comment: