Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Never Wrestle with Two Dogs in a Parking Lot

   Well today was quite eventful.  I had a job interview this morning at a credit union, and although I feel it went well, I won't have a definite answer for about 2-3 weeks.  So breathe easy people!  There will be nothing standing in between me and my daily posts about yummy recipes and the randomness that is my life ;-)  Not until my husband comes home, at any rate, but then again I may need this blog to get away from him after the initial "honeymoon" period is over.  That should last all of......the car ride home o.O

   In the mean time, I do have a yummy recipe for y'all tonight, but first let me fill you in on a few more fun facts about my day.  After the job interview, I picked Monkey up from the daycare, and we headed off in search of groceries.  I don't quite know what had me so frazzled, but I swear I went up and down each isle twice because I passed up what I needed the first time.  Then I finally get to the check-out line, and I can't find my coupons.  They were in my wallet.   Of course, I couldn't find them!!!  I mean, who puts their coupons in their wallet???  I usually have them pinned to my list.  Well then, I forgot to get cash back whenever I paid, so I was scrambling to gather up all of my quarters so that I had a tip for the sweet old gentleman who followed me out into the crazy heat to load up my groceries.  Then I couldn't find my keys.  They were in my purse!  That is NOT where they belong!!!  They are supposed to be hooked onto the side of my purse.  (And, yes, there is a difference.)

   I finally made it home, fed the monkey, and put the groceries away.  Then it was time to take Roux to the vet.  I don't think I've mentioned this before but my aptly nick-named "mangy mutt", does in fact have mange.  It's not the contagious kind, but she's looking all too scraggly with those two dozen furless patches all down her back.  She's been on the medicine for two weeks now, and my instructions were to bring her back today.  Since Tessua started her new job yesterday (yay!) she asked if I could bring her newest addition (remember when we vowed not to let each other get a pet?) to the vet for a booster.  Figuring that two dogs couldn't be that much harder than one, I agreed.

   So off we went, Monkey, Roux and I, to pick up Athena.  After collecting her we headed to the vet, and halfway there someone started stinking up my car!  "Athena!!!!" I yelled, as I hurried to roll down her window.  The rest of the trip there was a fun game of "roll the window down before I gag, and roll the window up before we all break out into a sweat".  Finally we get to the vet's office (the one in PetSmart), and I load Roux and Ryleigh into a buggy like always.  Then I toss Athena's stinky self in there too, and we head off.  Well Athena, being the ringleader that she is, decided she did not like the buggy.  Out she hopped while I was pushing the buggy past a truck who obviously was not paying attention to where he was backing up!  I had to hurry up and catch her leash, all while maneuvering my child and mutt out of the way of the idiot driver.  Then my darling Roux, who never has an original thought, and is always behind the times, finally realizes that "Hey, I can jump out of here too".  Out she hops too.  Thankfully I still had her leash in my hand.

   Somehow I manage to wrestle the two mutts into PetSmart, not without a few giggles from passersby, and I explain to the lady that I have my dog, and a friend's dog, and she's looking extremely confused. "Is your friend going to be here for the exam?"  "Um, no; that's why I just single-handedly wrestled two dogs in the middle of your parking lot!" (Okay, I didn't really say that, but my snarky side wanted to.)  Still looking a little put out, the lady finally weighed them both, and then we waited.  And waited.   And waited.   Meanwhile I'm getting dirty looks every time Athena lets one rip, because apparently the smell is invading everyone's nostrils, and they all think it's me.  Finally, it's our turn.  We get into the room and away from the staring people who are judging me for my non-exsistent gas, and the nurse can't seem to figure out why I've brought in my dog who's only been on the mange medicine for two weeks.  Go figure, the vet we saw last time was not in today, and evidently this other vet had no clue why the original vet told me to come in, and I'm just standing there going "WTH did I just drag two dogs here for?"  So then they take Athena and give her her shot and get her heartworm meds.  Then they come back to explain to me that they typically don't re-check for mange until the medicine has been administered for a month.  So basically, I need to keep up with the exact same crap I've been doing.  So then we get out, and it's time to pay. Then we leave, and I'm told to bring them both back in two-three weeks, and I'm thinking "yeah, cause that's gonna happen".

   We get back to Tessua's house, I put Athena and the meds up, and get back into my car to head home. I'm halfway home when Roux lets one out, and I just glare at her.  So I'm sorry Tessua, for judging your dog for her non-exsistent gas.  Lesson learned....

  So I hope you've all had a good laugh at my expense.  If not, would it help to tell you that the whole time I was wrestling the two mutts I was in a frieakin' dress???  I thought it might.

  So on to better things.  Like food.

  Tonight I attempted to make Beef and Broccoli, and let me just say that it was a total success.  I got the recipe from here. I really like this blog, and I plan to try a few more of her recipes soon.

Beef and Broccoli


1 lb boneless beef sirloin steak
4 T cornstarch
28 oz beef broth
5 t soy sauce
2 T brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 c fresh broccoli florets

Cooked white rice


  Slice beef into small strips.  In a medium bowl mix cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, and garlic.  In large skillet, brown beef over medium heat.  Add broccoli and broth mixture.  Stirring frequently, bring to a boil, and boil until it thickens.  


  Simple yet delicious.  Monkey even asked for seconds (not a rare occurrence, but note-worthy).  If I would change anything, it *might* be to add more soy sauce, but I'm a bit of a soy addict.  (And for those of you worrying about my sodium levels, need I remind you about my theory on what women eat???)  


   Oh, and here's a few drool-worthy pictures that I'm rather proud of.







1 comment:

  1. See, this is why I stick to cats. Throw them in a carrier and you're good to go! :-p Also, I laughed. I did. I laughed good and hard at this. :-D Love you!

    ReplyDelete