Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Here's to a New Year

     Tomorrow is New Year's Eve.  Another year has come and gone, and I'm amazed at how fast this one went by.  It seems the older I get the faster the years fly, not to mentioned that ever since Monkey was born they seem to be reaching lightening speed.  As bittersweet as it is, I'm looking forward to this new year.  This year Monkey will be 6 years old.  I will finally graduate from Nursing school in the fall.  I'll take the NCLEX in September, and (hopefully) I'll begin my first nursing job before the year is out.  Just as 2015 will mark the beginning of my Nursing career, it will also bring the close of J's Navy career.  Who knows what new adventures that alone will bring. At any rate, I think it's safe to say that 2015 will be a year of many firsts, and I'm ready to meet them head on.

     As with many of you out there, the beginning of the New Year makes me think about what changes I can make in my life, and although I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, the holidays and all the goodies they entail have me wishing for a bit healthier fare in the near future.  Thankfully, my awesome MIL gave me a Magic Bullet which will come in handy as I get back on the smoothie wagon.  In the meantime, though, I have been indulging a bit too much in food like this:




Easy Crockpot Burritos
Adapted from FoodPusher blog

2 lbs stew meat, ground beef, or chicken
19 oz can mild red enchilada sauce
1 beef bouillon cube
1 can refried beans
7 burrito-sized flour tortillas
1 cup cheddar cheese
Optional Toppings: guacamole, sour cream, diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, shredded lettuce

Place beef, bouillon cube, and enchilada sauce into a crockpot.  Cook on low 7-8 hours or high 3-4 hours, or until meat is tender and flakes easily.

Once beef is tender, heat refried beans in a microwave or on the stovetop according to package directions.

Grease the inside of a 9x13 baking dish or spray with cooking spray.  Set oven to broil on high.

Assemble burritos by placing about 1/2 cup drained meat in the center of a tortilla.  Add a about two scoops of beans to the center.  Fold the sides in and roll up like a burrito.  Place inside the greased baking dish.  Repeat with the remaining tortillas or until all the meat is used up.  Pour leftover sauce from the crockpot over the top of the burritos.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Broil for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Serve with optional toppings.


     I love that this recipe can be adapted for your preferences (and budget).  J prefers ground beef burritos, but I like the stew meat best.  Chicken is always a good compromise, and it's easier on the bank than beef, not to mention it has less fat than beef.  Plus I like any recipe that gives me the choice to mix things up without becoming a whole new recipes I have to memorize.

    Anyway, I hope everyone has a fun-filled New Year's Eve, and a wonderful New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment