Saturday, May 17, 2014

Smooth Operator

     I've been on break from school for almost a week now, so you'd think I would have posted a new blog by now, but what can I say?  I've been busy catching up on all that nothing I wasn't doing while I was in school ;-)  I did get a few thing accomplished this week but nothing too noteworthy.  The biggest event was when my little Monkey "graduated" from her daycare on Friday!  She'll be starting Kindergarten this fall, and I'm not sure I'm ready for that.  She sure looked cute in her cap and gown, though.

   
        Here's hoping the transition from daycare to "big kid school" is a smooth one.  Speaking of "smooth", I have been on a huge smoothie kick lately, and of course I want to share a few of my favorites.

How's that for a smooth transition?  I guess I'm just a "smooth" operator.  ;-) 

     Last time I shared the Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie.  When a friend of mine saw it, she shared that she loves to put something green in hers, and that's when I decided to give this guy a try:


Green Smoothie
1/2 Avocado
1 cup spinach
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1 banana, frozen and sliced
1/4 cup pineapple juice (I simply used the juice from when I sliced up the pineapple)

Mix all the ingredients together in a blender, and enjoy!

Calories:  322
Carbs:      55.9 grams
Fat:          12.2 grams
Protein:    3.3 grams
Sodium:    29.5 mg
Sugar:      34.1 grams

     I was a little weirded out by the idea of a liquified avocado, but it was really creamy and good.  However, I figured that was enough green to last me a while, not to mention my spinach crop shriveled up, and I ran out of avocados.  So for the next smoothie I nixed the green to make this:


 Tropical Blackberry Smoothie
1 cup pineapple chunks, frozen
1 cup blackberries, frozen
2 small tangerines (I stole a couple of my daughter's Halo's)
1/4 cup walnuts
2 tsp sugar

Mix everything in the blender, and enjoy :-)

Calories:  446 
Carbs:      65.4 grams
Fat:          20.9 grams
Protein:    8.8 grams
Sodium:    3 mg
Sugar:      43.4 grams

     This one has been my favorite so far.  I've made it several times, which is no problem this time of year when blackberries can be found in abundance around the base.  Monkey and I pick at least 2 cups every time we go for a run or a bike ride together.

     Now this next smoothie requires a little explaining.  What had happened was, I was craving a milkshake, but we had no ice cream in the house (mainly because J is deployed).  No biggie.  I simply turned to Google to find a makeshift recipe, and I found this:


Chocolate Peanut Butter Milkshake
from Yummly

1 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup chocolate syrup
1/4 cup milk
12 ice cubes

Mix everything in a blender, and serve.  This actually makes 4 servings instead of 1.

Calories:  442
Carbs:      30 grams  
Fat:           33 grams
Protein:    15 grams
Sodium:    300 mg
Sugar:       15 grams

      My only caution with this recipe is that you should start off with 1/2 cup of peanut butter and work your way up.  I did the full one cup, and it was way too much, even though I love peanut butter.

     Since that didn't really satisfy my chocolate craving, I tried again today to get my fix with this next recipe.  Oh, and I added something green :-)


Chocolate Avocado Smoothie
1/2 avocado
1 1/2 banana, frozen and sliced
1/4 cup walnuts
2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used Chobani's)
2 tsp sugar *optional*  (I have a big sweet tooth)
1/4 cup milk

Blend and serve.  Serves 2.

Calories:  311
Carbs:      38.3 grams
Fat:          17.9 grams
Protein:    7.9 grams
Sodium:   25.6 mg 
Sugar:      21.4 grams


     That got the chocolate monkey off my back for a while (I hope anyway).  The next smoothie doesn't have a picture, but it was another top ranking one.  The only thing stopping me from making it again is the lack of grapes.  Monkey ate them all :-(

Grape Smoothie with Oats
I'm sorry to the original poster, I found your recipe on my phone, and now I can't find the link!

1/2 cup black seedless grapes
1/2 cup-1 cup oats (1 cup was a bit much in my opinion)
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (Again, I used Chobani)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 banana, frozen and sliced
1 TBS honey

Blend and enjoy.  Makes 1 serving :-)

Calories:  601 
Carbs:      122.1 grams
Fat:          6 grams
Protein:    22 grams
Sodium:   63.7 mg
Sugar:      53.6 grams

       So there you have it.  An arsenal of quick, but yummy smoothies for breakfast or snack time.  I will probably be posting more soon considering I now have a freezer packed with pineapples, strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries.  I love spring time!

1 comment: