Monday, August 18, 2014

What's for Lunch?

      One of my new favorite things is packing Monkey's school lunches.  I know, I need a life, but I just get a kick out of all the cute ideas I see floating around on Pinterest.  I also love when Monkey comes home and tells me things like, "Mommy, there were snails in my lunchbox".  It makes me feel good to know she's not only eating healthy, but that she's enjoying it too.  I will try to post each week's lunches on here to give other moms ideas.  So here is one week of fun lunches:

Monday: Ham and Cheese Kabobs


I actually already mention this one, but you're seeing it again.  Monkey's only been in school for a week or so, so I'm working with limited material here.  Anyway, pictured above are her Ham and Cheese kabobs, made up of cubed ham I had leftover from making Green Eggs and Ham, cubed Mozzarella, and grape tomatoes.  I added Veggie Chips, sugar snap peas, half a banana, and cucumbers cut into stars for her sides.  Plus a small container of Ranch for dipping, and she was all set. 

Tuesday: DIY Lunchables


This one is actually something I make for her rather often, even on the weekends (hence the lack of lunch box).  Instead of wasting money on those pre-packaged, preservative-filled boxes in the store, I make my own for Monkey.  She doesn't seem to mind.  This one used bologna, but you can use any deli meat, any type of cheese, any type of cracker, and you can even cut out fun little shapes if you're feeling creative.  Diversity!  That's the name of this game.  And of course I threw in a fruit and a veggie to go along with it.  

Wednesday: DIY Pizzas


I brought out the big guns early last week.  This one was by far Monkey's favorite!  I used one of those homemade English Muffins sliced in half for the two "pizza crusts".  I added a bit of pizza sauce to one of her containers.  Then I shredded some mozzarella for Monkey to put on top.  I used Turkey pepperoni to cut out little hearts for her to add to her mini pizzas.  Then I filled in the remaining containers with cherry tomatoes, sugar snap peas, and cucumbers cut into hearts.  When she came home with this one, there was nothing left in the box!  


Thursday: Hello Kitty Sandwiches



This one was another hit.  Using these awesome sandwich cutter/stamps, I cut kitty faces from bologna and cheese to make these two open-faced sandwiches.  Again, I used an English muffin halved for the base of the sandwich.  I threw in some sugar snap peas, half of a banana, and cucumbers and halved cherry tomatoes tossed with Italian dressing.  

Friday: Ham Sandwiches


Okay, I got a little cheesy with this one.  I don't know if you can see it very well, but these ham sandwiches have little piggy faces (curtesy of those cute stamps I mentioned earlier).  I thought it was too funny not to resist, but J told me I was corny.  I think it's cute.  Anywho, these little piggy sandwiches are made up of two English muffins topped with tomato, lettuce, ham, and cheese.  For sides, Monkey enjoyed sugar snap peas, cherry tomatoes, and grapes.  

     As you can see, I'm having a lot of fun with these things.  My sister asked me the other day what I was going to do when I go back to school, but I'm in denial.  I'm sure I'll come up with something.  Y'all just may not hear about it until my next break ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment