Sunday, August 17, 2014

Six Years Down, How Many More to Go?!

   Marriage is a crazy concept if you think  about it.  You're taking two people, who each have different life experiences, different perspectives, and different opinions, and basically telling them to put up with each other for the next 50-70 years.  The craziest part is that these two different people enter into this crazy pact by choice!  Although I wanted to be with J for the rest of my life, at 19 I don't think I really knew what I was getting into.  Then again, I don't think anyone does, regardless of their age on their wedding day.  It's just one of those things you don't know until you do it.  Well, six years ago today, I entered into the crazy commitment with J, and it's been a wild ride.  Ups and downs, forward and backward, we've moved all over the spectrum together.  And although there were days I wanted to just throw my hands up and call it quits, I'm so thankful to be married to this man.  He drives me nuts (on purpose).  He pushes my buttons (on purpose).  He causes me to rethink my beliefs, my standards, and my goals.  He challenges me to be a better me.  He supports me in my ventures.  He's my biggest fan, and my worst critic.  He loves me in his way that is totally different from my own, and he causes me to questions what the Hell I was thinking the day I said, "I do", but more than anything, he shares my life.  He's the first person I want to call when I have a great day at clinical.  When I failed my first test in Nursing school, he was the one I wanted to talk to.  When Monkey is having one of her days where I just can't win, I know he's there to pick up my slack.  As cliche as it may sound, there's no one else I'd rather travel through this world with.  So here's to you, Love!  Happy Anniversary :-)
     
     Now for the rest of you, I guess I owe you something for being such a good sport and sitting through my cheesiness. How about a recipe?  Here's one I made for J the other night that he loved!  



Paula Deen's Quick Italian Meatballs with Spaghetti
Makes 4-6 servings

1 TBS olive oil
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
2 lbs ground beef
36 pepperoni slices, finely chopped
1/2 cup Italian-seasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Quick Spaghetti and Sauce (recipe below)

Preheat oven to 350.  Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Place a wire rack over baking sheet, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.  In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.  Add onion and bell pepper, and cook for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Set aside to cool. IN a large bowl, combine cooked vegetables, ground beef, pepperoni, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, egg, Italian seasoning, and garlic salt.  Shape mixture into 2 inch balls.  Place on prepared rack, and bake for 15 minutes or until no longer pink.  

Paula Deen's Quick Spaghetti and Sauce

1 (25 oz) jar pasta sauce
6-8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 (16 oz) package spaghetti, cooked according to package directions

To thinly slice the basil, stack several fresh basil leaves, and roll them up tightly.  Using a sharp knife, thinly slice the bundle, and watch it cascade into tiny ribbons.  

In a large saucepan, combine pasta sauce, basil, oregano, and pepper.  Cook, stirring frequently, over medium-low heat until safe is warmed through.  Add cooked pasta and meatballs.  Toss gently to coat.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment