Thursday, August 7, 2014

I'm Diagnosing Myself



      What can I say about the last two months?  They have been one Hell of a ride to say the least.  I never thought I could go through so many emotions in such a short time span.  Adult Health I (Med Surg) was almost more than I could handle.  Almost.  It was rough, and I wasn't always sure I'd make it to the other side, but here I am.  Thank God!  And thanks to my wonderfully supportive family who put up with me going from completely neglecting them to wanting to do nothing but cuddle and cry all day and talk about how much we love each other.  Yeah, they've been troopers.  Also to my fellow classmates, we're not out of the woods yet, but I'm definitely starting to see some thinning of the trees.  At any rate, I've missed blogging, and I hope y'all missed me too.  Either way I'm back ;-)  Until Adult Health II, that is.

     Now that this semester is over and I get a little break I plan on catching up with everything else in my life.  Let's start with this blog.  Since I've been neglecting my wonderful readers, let me share an awesome recipe with y'all to make amends.  This recipe comes from Cuisine at Home magazine, which I picked up on vacation last year to idly flip through while we had some down time in the hotel.  It has since become well worn from overuse.  My favorite recipe in this magazine is the one I'm about to share.



Buffalo Chicken Fries
(Makes 4 servings)

1/3 hot sauce (I like Texas Pete, but you can use any)
1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 TBS honey
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil, divided

Slice chicken length-wise into 1/2 inch strips, and season with salt and pepper.

Whisk together hot sauce, butter, and honey in a large bowl.

Pour flour into a large Ziploc bag.  Add chicken, seal bag, and toss until chicken is coated.  Shake off excess flour.

Heat 2 TBS oil in large sauté pan over medium-high heat; add half the chicken strips, sauté until browned, about 2 minutes per side, then transfer to hot sauce mixture and toss to coat.  Repeat with remaining oil and chicken strips.

     These little chicken fries with a kick are paired perfectly with some of my end-of-the-season finds from the garden.  I managed to get just enough pole beans off of my dying plants to cook some up as a side.  There's really nothing like some home grown veggies!  Now that I've got a bit of a break from school, I'll be tearing up my summer plants and planting my Fall/Winter garden.

     Another thing I'm looking forward to is packing Monkey's lunches for school.  I know I probably sound crazy, but ever since I discovered Everyday Bento, I can't wait to pack her lunch each morning.  I just love all the cutsie ideas that make eating healthy fun for my baby girl.  Plus I feel better knowing exactly what she's putting in her belly each day at school.  That's right; I said "school".  My baby girl is officially a Kindergartener!  How crazy is that?!  So in order to keep my mind off of that fact in hopes that I'll eventually stop crying, I'm trying to keep busy by planning out her fun lunches.  Here's an example on one I made last week.  I wanted her to practice opening all her containers in her lunchbox, since I won't be there to help her.  So I went ahead and made this practice Bento box:

Bugs Bento Box Lunch

The bottom layer of Monkey's Bento box held these crawly critters
 For these snails you'll need:
1 tortilla
a few slices of deli meat
a few thin slices of cheese
Spinach leaves
Baby dill pickles, sliced in half at an angle
Toothpicks

Simply place your meat, cheese, and and spinach leaves on the tortilla, roll up, and slice into pinwheels, and then assemble as seen above.

The top layer of Monkey's bento box
  Using this awesome veggie/fruit cutter I cut butterflies out of one of our homegrown cucumbers.  Then I filled the other containers with grapes and yogurt (or magic fruit dip, as Monkey calls it).

     Well that's it for now, y'all.  I have a ton of housework to catch up on, which will (hopefully) keep me busy until Monkey gets home from school this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment