Sunday, May 4, 2014

Spring-time Recipes

     I love this time of year!  The weather is beautiful.  The birds can be heard chirping away outside my window.  The blackberries are beginning to ripen.  Everything just screams, "Spring!"  I come alive during this time of year.  One of my favorite things to do it take Monkey for a run and then walk home, picking blackberries along the way.  Pretty soon, my favorite you-pick farm will be opening, which means even more fresh produce.  There's just no down-side to this time of year.  Well, except snakes, but we're not going there this time.

     With the abundance of fresh fruits and veggies at the store and in my own garden, it's so much easier to eat healthily this time of year.  Which is helpful, considering it's about time to drag out that bathing suit again.  In honor of bathing suit season I'm going to share a couple of healthy, yet simple meals.  The first one, Grilled Chicken with Strawberry and Pineapple Salsa, comes form the American Heart Association, and it was different, but in a good way.  You'll have to click the link to get the recipe.  It's copyrighted, and I'm not that big of a rebel (You hear that, Mom?).



     In addition to attempting to eat healthier, I've also been pressed for time in the mornings.  Thankfully I don't have to sacrifice nutrition (or taste) for simplicity or speediness.  Lately I've been throwing a few things in the blender, and drinking my breakfast.  This time of year is perfect for smoothies, thanks to all the fresh produce that's available.  Here's one of my latest concoctions:



Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie
Makes 2 servings

1 banana sliced
1/2 cup chopped pineapple
1/2 cup diced strawberries
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 TBS honey

Put all ingredients into a blender, and blend on high until nice and smooth!  Enjoy :-)



     Now I'm off to study for my final exams, one more week, and then I'll have a three week break!  I'm not going to know what to do with myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment