Wednesday, May 11, 2016

It's Not That Simple

     Writing my last post made me realize how much I miss blogging, and writing in general.  Life got pretty hectic for a while there, and although I don't foresee it slowing down any time soon, I want to attempt to reclaim this blog.  After all, it's good to have an outlet, especially when life gets crazy.

     So, what do I plan to blog about today?  Nothing so profound as my last entry, that's for sure.  I shed enough tears writing that one to last me a while.  Instead, I thought I'd revisit an old favorite: shopping exploits with J.  Now because the pediatrician (and my better judgement) suggested we not bring little Monster out to crowded places such as the grocery store until he's gotten his shots, J's been in charge of groceries.  Anyone who remembers the time he was in charge of finding something for dinner will understand my trepidation at placing him in charge of foraging for two weeks worth of groceries.  To my surprise, however, he did really well, which makes this almost unfair to even mention...almost.  You see, because I just had a tiny human exit my body, I found myself in need of some feminine hygiene products.  And since J was headed to the commissary anyway, I figured it would be simple for him to pick up a pack of pads for me.  I even made it dummy-proof by sending him pictures of different products that would suffice (in case they were out of one brand or another).  Well, apparently, it's not that simple because this is what my darling J came home with:


     It even says "discreet bladder leakage protection" on the package.  I'm pretty sure it wasn't my bladder needing protection, but hey "A" for effort, right?  He was even a trooper and brought them back in exchange for what I actually needed.  By the time I head back to work, he'll be an old pro at perusing the commissary.  Maybe he'll even be making the grocery list himself....or not.

     Despite the fact that my shopping requests aren't always simple, this recipe I'm about to share certainly is.  Simple and delicious!


Salmagundi (aka Really Fancy Salad Full of Yum)
(From Syrup & Biscuits)

4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, thinly sliced
8-10 mini sweet peppers, stems removed and cut in half lengthwise
3-4 shallots, peeled and halved
olive oil
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
12 oz salad mix
4 oz each of ham, turkey, and roast beef, diced
4 oz each of Swiss and cheddar cheese, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes
2-3 boiled eggs, sliced

Preheat oven to 450.  Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.  Arrange potatoes, peppers, and shallots on baking sheet, keeping them separated for presentation, if desired.  Drizzle with oil.  Add seasonings and toss to coat.  Bake for 30 minutes or until veggies caramelize.  Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile place salad mix on a serving dish and arrange remaining ingredients on top.  Once cooled, add potatoes, peppers, and shallots.  Serve with or without your preferred dressing.

Enjoy!

     As you can see in the picture, we had to forgo the shallots, roast beef, and turkey.  J said he couldn't find diced turkey or roast beef, and the thought never crossed his mind to buy the regular lunch meat and cut it up later.  The shallots were MIA because J had no clue what they were and didn't ask anyone or Google it.  I  may just have to pump an extra bottle for little Monster and go myself next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment