Thursday, June 28, 2012

I Give Up!

  You know, I thought that with J leaving soon we'd be all sunshine and rainbows beforehand, but nope!  He wouldn't be my husband if he didn't insist on giving me at least one more ounce of grief before he departs.  I just thought I was being smart in my methods of avoiding conflict.  I was wrong.

   Today as I was looking through our pantry I realized that there are four more days until I get paid, but only one more recipe to cook.  I informed J of this who immediately decided to go to the store to buy steak for dinner.  Trying to be the frugal wife, I suggested something a bit cheaper that might go farther.  Also, knowing the fiascos that have been our grocery trips in the past, I decided I would sit this one out and let him handle it on his own.  I thought allowing him to find tonight's dinner would display a bit of faith as well as save myself a headache.  Again, I was wrong!

   After about 20 minutes, my husband pulls up and begins unloading his wares.  I think the best part of this whole scenario was the pride on his face as he displayed his purchases.  As if he were a hunter or forager bringing home good game to his wife.  Only his "game" consisted of ice cream, Go-Gurt, pepperoni, marshmallows, and a dog bone.  Completely oblivious to my utter astonishment, he kept lamenting over the fact that he had only gotten one bone for two dogs!

   So much for saving myself a headache, but I was more than willing to forgive him when I witnessed my baby girl helping him make Rice Krispie treats.



 That is until he broke my favorite spatula twice!  I quickly took over the Rice Krispie Treat-making before retreating in here to type all this up.




   I can't even make this stuff up!  My darling husband just stuck his head in here and asked me, "So, what do you want for dinner?"  He's lucky I didn't have anything to throw.

   I guess it's my fault, seeing as how this is one of those perfect "If you want something done right, do it yourself" examples I was trying to think of the other day.   So, in a way I asked for it.  Oh well, one more for the memory book, right?  I'm off to make pepperoni sandwiches for dinner.  But before I go I have to share a really good recipe.  It's what I'll be pretending to eat tonight ;-)




Chicken, Spinach and Mushroom Pasta Bake
from Paula Deen's latest issue

 1 (16 oz) box rotini pasta
2 TBS butter
1 (8 oz) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (32 oz) carton chicken broth
3 cups shredded mozzarella
2 (10 oz) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (or leftovers from that delicious Herb Roasted Chicken recipe I shared)
1 TBS Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions, and keep warm.  Preheat oven to 350.  Spray a 13x9" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.  In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat.  Add mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.  Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.  Stir in broth, and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and bubbly.  Add mozzarella cheese, stirring until cheese melts.  Remove mixture from heat.  Stir in spinach, chicken, mustard, salt and pepper, and cooked pasta.  Spoon mixture into prepared dish.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment