Thursday, April 4, 2013

You can't say "Uterus" at the table!

     As most of you know, I'm finishing up my last few prerequisites and will be applying to the Nursing program in the Fall.  Since August most of my focus has been on my science courses: Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology I and II mainly.  This means a lot of at-home studying.  After the first week of attempting to hide the diagrams in my Anatomy book from my then 3-year-old, I eventually gave up and let her look.  Then I realized how much of a teaching opportunity it was, considering she's actually showing interest in the human body.  In just a few short weeks I went from slamming the book closed anytime I heard her footsteps, to openly explaining different body systems to her.  Since this practice has become second nature, I've found myself taking every opportunity to educate her.  So it was nothing to me at the dinner table tonight when she started a certain conversation about babies to correct her on a certain point.  She asked me about when she was a baby in my belly, and I responded, "Well, actually you weren't in my belly, you were in my uterus."

     I swear my husband almost spit his chicken across the table.  After a few sputters and coughs, he gasped out, "Baby!  Don't say uterus at the table!"

     I just laughed and explained that I wanted her to learn the facts and learn them from me.  J agreed, but I did notice he made himself busy cleaning up the dinner dishes when I pulled out the actual Anatomy book and started showing Monkey the diagrams of the different stages of fetal growth and labor.  Perhaps it's a bit unorthodox, but she soaks it all up like a little sponge.  Hopefully it'll pay off when I have a doctor for a daughter.  Or just as long as I don't end up having to pay for therapy for warping her.

     Now if only I could get her as excited about helping me make dinner as she is about learning A&P with me.  Oh well.  Honestly I sort of relieved that she's not that into joining me in the kitchen.  It's become my sanity, my quiet place now that school is picking up as everyone's racing toward finals.  Plus with J home I've been neglecting my sewing room, and my room has been taken over by his combat boots and miscellaneous gear.  It helps that I suddenly have more motivation to cook.  I found a few cookbooks my grandmother in Florida had sent me a while back.  These were books I had been excited about when I got them, but I then discovered Pinterest, and they got shoved into a cabinet.  I'm glad I unearthed them recently, because I found this awesome recipe from the Quick from Scratch: Pasta cookbook.

Fusilli with Artichoke Hearts and Parmesan Cream


2 TBS butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 1/2 cups (2-14 oz cans) canned, drained artichoke hearts, rinsed and cut into quarters
3/4 lb Fusilli (I substituted rotini)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 TBS chopped parsley

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over moderately low heat.  Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.  Stir in the cream, salt, pepper and artichoke hearts.  Cook until just heated through, about 3 minutes.  In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rotini until just done, about 13 minutes.  Drain the pasta and toss with the cream sauce, Parmesan, and parsley.

This was a really good side to this Marinated Pork Tenderloin. Or you could make it a Meatless Monday Meal.


Enjoy :-)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment