Friday, February 22, 2013

Bedtime Blues

   
     According to the diagram, y'all, my darling J is the wife.  Every night when Monkey gets up at an ungodly hour to wake me up for water or a potty break or a hug, J, without even stirring from his lovely sanctuary of slumber, wriggles his way onto my side the bed, and every night I have to finagle my way back into the bed.  Last night was the worst, however.  After tucking Monkey back in after a nightmare about a dragon, I came back to bed to see J on my side of the bed again.  I quietly asked him to get back to his side, and he complied...sort of.  He moved his head back to his pillow, but the rest of him was still on my side.  I gently began prodding him to scoot over, and he responded by grunting and rolling over.  This should have been the end of it, but for some unknown reason he decided it would be most comfortable to sleep with his head and knees on his side of the bed while his rump rested on my side.  I don't even fathom how the man accomplished the feat of taking up the entire bed with just his butt considering baby ain't got much back.  He did it, however, by channeling his inner Will Smith (think Fresh Prince of Bel-Air), and pushed that hinny all the way to the edge.  I was forced to mold myself to the odd V shape in order to pass out for 45 minutes before my alarm to run woke me up.  Thankfully it was raining, so I had a legitimate excuse to stay in the (somewhat) cozy bed.

     I was already sleepy from the restless night, but now I'm exhausted.  J and I decided that in order to spend time together and still have time to get to the gym, we'd start a workout together.  I foolishly let J pick it out, and blindly followed him to the gym.  My reward?  The loss of all feeling in both arms.  That is, until the numbness subsided and was replaced by a burning sensation any time I move them.  I think it's safe to say the workout he chose is effective, if not painful.  It's nice to be able to do something constructive together, though.

     Tonight I probably negated everything we did at the gym with these awesome pan pizzas:



but it was totally worth it.
     The original poster said that these were just like the ones you can get from Pizza Hut, but I can't confirm that, as I've never tasted their pan pizza.  J has, however, and he says that these are even better. This is the first time I've made my own crust.  It turned out to be way easier than I thought it would be.

"Pizza Hut" Pan Pizzas

For the dough:
1/4 cup non-fat dry milk
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBS sugar
1 package dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
1 1/3 cup warm water
2 TBS oil (I used canola) + extra for greasing pans
4 cups flour

Mix yeast, sugar, salt, and dry milk in a 2 qt bowl.  Add water and stir, mixing well.  Allow to sit for 2 minutes.  Stir in oil.  Add flour and mix until dough forms.  Turn dough out onto a lightly flour surface, and knead for 10 minutes.  Divide dough into 3 balls.  In three 9" round cake pans, grease with oil, making sure it's spread evenly.  Using a rolling pan, roll out each ball into a 9" circle.  Place one in each pan.  Cover with a plate, and allow to rise in a warm location for about 1 1/2 hours.  (I usually stick mine in the oven, but make sure it's off lol)

For the sauce:
1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
1 tsp dry oregano
1/2 tsp marjoram (I substituted dry thyme b/c I couldn't find this)
1/2 tsp dry basil
1/2 tsp garlic salt

Combine in a small bowl and let sit for about an hour.

To assemble the pizzas, spoon about 1/3 cup of sauce onto each pizza.  Add a little cheese, then your meat toppings followed by any additional toppings before adding the rest of the cheese on top.  Bake at 475 for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the crust is browned.
     The best part was that we each had our own pizza to top with whatever we chose.  Plus, Monkey   got to assemble hers on her own.



   Well I hope y'all enjoy the rest of your evening.  Here's hoping I can get a full night's sleep tonight, but if Monkey does wake me up, I'm going to skip the middle man by letting her sleep next to her daddy while I steal her bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment