Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Working Mom

   *sigh*  It feels so good to just sit still.  I've decided that I'm in need of some sort of balance right about now.  I sit all day at a desk at work, then I come home and run around like a chicken with her head cut off, only to find myself wishing for two seconds where I can just sit and be still.  Ugh!  Something's got to give.

   Today when I got off of work, for some strange reason I decided that it would be fun to try a new recipe. This is nothing new, but what is new is that this recipe required a lot of prep.  I made Paula Deen's Apple Buttery Pear Pie, and it was yummy.



Apple Buttery Pear Pie
3/4 cup sugar
6 TBS all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Pinch of red pepper
1/2 cup apple butter
2 TBS lemon juice
6 cups peeled, cored and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
2 cups peeled, cored and thinly sliced Bartlett pears
2 TBS unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 (14.1 oz) pkg refrigerated pie crust
1 egg yolk
2 TBS milk
sparkling sugar (optional)

   Preheat over 350, and line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Spray with cooking spray.  In large bowl whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves, and red pepper. Whisk in apple butter and lemon until smooth.  Stir in apples, pears, and butter.  Scoop mixture onto lined baking sheet in a single layer.  Cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 25 minutes or until fruits are tender.  Uncover and continue to bake for 10 minutes or until juices are slightly thickened. (Oops, I just realized I missed this step completely, ah well.)  On lightly floured surface roll out one pie crust into a 12" circle.  Place in bottom of your 9" deep-dish pie plate, and trim off excess crust 1/2" from edge of plate.  Spoon apple mixture into pie plate.  Roll out the other 9" pie crust to 12", and cover pie.  Press crusts together around rim.  In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and milk.  Spread over top of pie crust, and sprinkle with sugar if desired.  Cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape.  (Essss-Cop-a, as Dori would say.)  Bake 30 minutes or until pie is golden.



   That pie was all well and good, but next time I'll make it when we're having leftovers or something from a crock-pot.  That way I won't have to cook two things at once while trying to chase my husband and monkey away from the sliced fruit.

   For dinner we had Tortellini Florentine.  This is a recipe my mom taught me.  She loves it, and I'm pretty fond of it too.  It's quite quick.  Thank goodness I had all the ingredients handy b/c my darling husband decided at the last minute that he wasn't in the mood for what I had planned to cook.  Oh well, he'll get that for dinner tomorrow night ;-)

Mom's Tortellini Florentine
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 clove garlic-pressed
1 cup milk, warmed
1 cup chicken broth, warmed
salt & pepper (or Tony's :-D)
1 (10 oz) bag fresh spinach, chopped
2 TBS butter
1 (9-12 oz) pkg 3-cheese tortellini

Florentine Sauce:
Melt butter in large saucepan over medium hear.  Add flour and garlic, cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.  Stir in warm milk and broth.  Add seasoning.  Bring to boil.  Gradually stir in spinach until wilted.  Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Taste for seasonings.

Tortellini:
Meanwhile cook tortellini in a large pot of boiling salt water until done (about 6 minutes).  Drain, and place in baking dish.  Toss with butter, salt and pepper (or Tony's).  Serve topped with Florentine Sauce.

You can even add chopped chicken breast or shrimp if you so desire.



   Although I love both this dinner and the dessert, I must make a mental note never to serve them together again.  This tortellini dish is rich enough without following it up with a Paula Deen dessert.

   Ok, so working moms out there, this one's for you.  I keep feeling like everyday when I get home I don't have enough time, and I get off at 3:00 every afternoon!  Like tonight, I was so determined to treat my family to dessert, which has become a rare thing in our house since I started this job, that I totally missed out on everything.  Granted, I didn't realize how long it would take to peel and core all those pears and apples.  Then I didn't factor in my husband's request to switch entrees.  By the time I looked at a clock it was 6:00, then before I knew it, it was Monkey's bedtime.  Too much of that has been happening lately.  I almost miss the days when I had nothing to do but spend time with her.

   On top of slacking as a mommy (Have y'all noticed there are no new crafts mentioned?), I also feel like my house is getting out of control.  I feel like every time I turn around I need to mop again (which is no longer soothing when I have my husband telling me I'd rather mop than spend time with him).  The dishes are never finished, and as I'm typing this J is folding clothes that have been sitting in the dryer for three days!  Ahhhhhh!!!

    Then when I finally get a second, the husband wants attention!  Lord, please just help me out here.

   Maybe tomorrow I'll just make everyone eat leftovers.  Maybe tomorrow I'll come home and clean before I go get Monkey from daycare.  Then maybe I'll take her to the park.  Yeah.... maybe.........

  I guess this is my come-uppance for being Miss Suzy Sunshine :-P, but hey, life's still good.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah. It's about time you got what you deserved! Who did you think you were being all perky and happy and little miss perfect for all that time?! Huh! /end goofy tough sounding voice

    :-D You'll get it all balanced out. Don't worry. Just chill... And then go to the store and buy some of these Hormel Roasts like us lesser mortals. Cook some rice, add a side dish, and you've got dinner! I recommend the beef, pork, and Italian beef. YUMMY! :-D

    ReplyDelete